Friday, December 5, 2008

GE JES735WJ .7 Cu. Ft. Capacity Countertop Microwave Oven

GE JES735WJ .7 Cu. Ft. Capacity Countertop Microwave Oven General Electric GE JES735WJ 0.7 Cu. Ft. Compact Microwave w/ Turntable - White
Customer Review: Small Footprint, Small Price
I bought this little microwave for my sister, who lives close to me and has a small kitchen.



I can remember paying several hundred Dollars for my first Radarange back in the late 70's and it was huge! I have a GE that doubles as a range hood and in many ways this resembles that unit, only smaller.



As do most of these ovens, this one has electronic buttons for all the functions. This makes greasy handprints, etc., easy to wipe off. The finish seems certainly nice enough, inside and out, for its minimal price.



There are preprogrammed buttons for popcorn, etc. My sister never uses them so I can't testify to their usefulness. It appears to me to be just as easy to punch time in.



One feature which I have on my GE, and is also on this one, is the weight-programmed defrost. I have grown to use it very often to defrost frozen meats and it appears to work just as well on here. My GE, though, will stop every few minutes to remind the user to flip the meat; this little oven doesn't. For the price, I can understand this. This is not a really powerful microwave: 700 watts. On my larger GE one can program the intensity but this unit appears to always run at the 700. On the defrost one can hear the magnetron cycling on and off. Certainly, with the meats we've tried it works quite well.



The only drawback for me would be its limited floor area inside. One of my favorite micro dishes is NordicWare's circular ribbed tray. I bought one for her and it won't turn, just too large. Her Corelle dishes all fit, but I can envision some dinner plates as being too large.



All in all, for the price it appears to be a fine little unit, particularly for the user who mainly wants to heat up foods and do popcorn. It has been trouble-free.
Customer Review: Works fine, fits well, costs little!
After much research, I bought the slightly bigger GE Spacemaker microwave that you can attach underneath your kitchen cabinets. It cost nearly $250 after tax on sale at a major retailer. When I got it home, despite having measured carefully, I found that it just didn't look right--it jutted out a bit and seemed too big for the space. So I returned it and bought this one, in black (slightly different model number--JES 735BJ), at a major electronics and appliance chain for $54 plus tax. It looked much better in my limited space, and after almost two months of fairly frequent use (several times per day heating up drinks, leftovers, etc.), it hasn't had any problems. It's a great little microwave if you have fairly basic microwaving needs, don't want something that's going to take up most of your counter space, and don't want to spend a lot of money. So far I'm very pleased with this purchase!

No comments: